This is a common way I categorise my lessons. If you hate being put into molds or categories then don't read on, just keep on learning what ever you feel like. I find this a good guide to filling in the gaps when lessons skip certain topics.
- First I group student into 3 main levels (Beginners, Intermediate & Advanced).
- Then each of those main groups into sub groups (Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3).
- Then each of those sub groups into sections (Theory, Chords & Rhythm then Melody & Riffs)
- Then split melody & riffs into two sections (Notation & Tablature).
Categorising Lesson Levels
Beginner - Level 1
This is someone that has just started playing and knows little to nothing on the guitar. They also needs reminders on finger placements, holding a pick, hand positioning, parts of the guitar, string numbering etc. Basically they know nothing and are starting right from the beginning.
- Knows little to nothing about music theory
Chords & Rhythm
- Knows little to nothing about chords or rhythm
Melody & Riffs
- Knows little to nothing about notation or TAB